|Natural Area Practitioner
||City of Surrey
||2930 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Parks, Recreation and Culture
||The City of Surrey’s Urban Forestry – Natural Areas team has a unique full-time temporary job opportunity for someone who is interested in applying their varied experience and skills to meet the challenges of assisting in the management of over 1,600 hectares of forest, shrubland, and grassland.
||• Supervise, train and review work of junior staff.
• Work on a team or alone with limited office work.
• Complete a variety of manual and semi-skilled tasks including but not limited to:
o trail edge pruning
o invasive plant removal
o planting maintenance (weeding/brushing/mulching)
o planting native trees and shrubs
o refuse and yard waste removal
o tree debris clean-up
o inventorying assets
• Respond to service requests from the public.
• Prepare reports and maintain records.
• Complete heavy physical work in all weather conditions, requiring sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination.
• Work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Must be physically able to carry out the duties as required.
• Be a logical and analytical thinker in problem-solving situations.
• Have superior public relations, interpersonal, communication, organizational and leadership skills.
• Have considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, standards and guidelines using in urban park natural area management.
• Complete other related duties as required
||• Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by successful completion of five additional relevant courses from an approved postsecondary
education institution in any of the following course areas:
o Urban land management
o Wildlife management
• Plus a minimum of 2 years of recent experience in the management of natural areas.
• Completion of Grade 12 and a Technical Certificate Program (one year full-time) from an approved post-secondary institution,
supplemented by 18 months of recent experience in the management of natural areas.
• Completion of Grade 12 and completion of a diploma program from an approved post-secondary institution, with a minimum of
6 months recent experience in the management of natural areas.
||• Experience supervising staff and strong leadership skills.
• Experience performing manual labour.
• Experience with power tools (brush saw, hedge trimmer, backpack blowers, chainsaw) and hand tools (shovels, picks, hand
snips, loppers, hand saws).
• Demonstrate ability to identify native and invasive plants.
• Possess strong public relations, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Possess strong organizational, time management, record-keeping and computer skills.
• Have a B.C. Industrial Vegetation and Noxious Weed Pesticide Applicator Certificate (to be obtained before the completion of
the probation period).
• Have a valid BC Driver’s license with a safe driving record.
||Please apply online @ www.surrey.ca/careers
||May 8, 2019 08:30 AM
||May 24, 2019 04:30 PM