|Labourer (up to 8) - Temporary Full-Time
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
February 3, 2020
at 4:30 PM
||20-U019 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 128,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for up to eight temporary full-time Labourers (from approx. February 24, 2020 to approx. December 24, 2020) to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Utilities Operations and Engineering and Construction Services departments. In this unionized position, you will perform a variety of manual work requiring physical effort and agility in the operations of semi-skilled and unskilled construction/maintenance tasks. A successful candidate must have sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit the performance of heavy manual outdoor work in all weather conditions.
The successful applicant will have sound knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment applicable to the various functional areas of construction and utilities maintenance work.
• Perform a variety of semi-skilled tasks in the operation, maintenance and construction of Township infrastructure.
• The work may include water, sewer, and stormwater infrastructure installation, repairs, and maintenance
• Act as a pad man for backhoes, performing utility works
• Break blacktop and concrete surfaces using pneumatic hammer and compressor accessories
• Using motorized compacting machines in backfilling and grading work and independently performing the more complex work
• Driving a vehicle to transport materials and tools to job sites
• Perform other related work as required
• Completion of Grade 10, some experience in construction and maintenance, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Sound knowledge of the methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment applicable to the various functional areas of utilities construction and maintenance work
• Skill in the use of a variety of tools used in general maintenance and construction work
• Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and simple written instructions
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
• BC Class 5 (full-privilege) driver’s license or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driver’s Record (select the 5 years’ option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s Licence or a Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
Applications will be considered for positions in Utilities Operations (Sewer and Water) and Engineering and Construction Services. Applicants will have the opportunity to identify their preference during the application process.
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $29.13 per hour (2020 rates), plus 13% in lieu of benefits. The hours of work are Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: 4:30pm, January 28, 2020
External closing date for this competition: 4:30pm, February 3, 2020
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||January 20, 2020 08:30 AM
||February 3, 2020 04:30 PM