|Economic Development Officer
|*We thank all applicants for your interest, however, only those short listed will be contacted.
||District of Hope
This posting closed on
February 14, 2020
at 4:30 PM
||AdvantageHOPE is a Society contracted with the District of Hope to provide the Economic Development Services. This is a four-year term contract for an Economic Development Officer with AdvantageHOPE.
The Board of AdvantageHOPE is seeking a highly visible, accomplished individual to maintain an effective and professional delivery of our Economic Development strategy, including business retention and expansion, business and investment attraction, workforce development, resident attraction, developing marketing strategies designed to promote the region as a business destination, business issues, economic trends, supports and works alongside District Staff working on neighborhood issues, relationships with senior levels of government, and performs related duties as required.
||Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• the principles, practice and issues of economic and community development including business retention and recruitment, real estate, land development process;
• pertinent Federal, provincial and local regulations and procedures concerning economic development;
• principles and practices of demographic research and analysis;
• principals and practice of grant writing; group dynamics;
• principals and techniques of report writing and organizational and operational analysis; and
• the Provincial Nominee Program.
• coordinate and implement an economic development program, including a proactive outreach and communication policy which projects the image of the community;
• organize tasks, set priorities and exercising sound independent judgment within established guidelines, including using creative ways to solve issues;
• work effectively with business leaders, financial institutions, community groups;
• work effectively in a highly visible position;
• effectively communicate both orally and in writing to the business community and general public; and
• facilitate community visits with potential investors and foreign entrepreneurs applying through the Provincial Nominee Program.
• Post-secondary education with specific focus in one of rural/community development issues, business or micro-economics, is desirable. A degree or diploma in Economic Development, Tourism, Business or Marketing, or a degree related to the functions of the position is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Experience in facilitation, rural planning, project management, business planning, marketing, and/or community economic development considered strong assets.
• Experience in the development and following of budgets is necessary.
• Successful proposal writing experience is considered a definite asset.
• Must have sound knowledge of various word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software applications.
• Must possess excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills.
• Travel is required and reliable transportation is a must.
• Maturity, good judgment, communication, public relations and organizational skills are essential. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and the ability to handle confidential information are assets.
||This position is expected to develop partnerships, support strategic planning and work effectively with the community. Assigned duties and responsibilities may require work to be performed outside of normal business hours, weekends and holidays.
• Coordinates, monitors and evaluates the planning and execution of activities with fellow economic development stakeholders and partners.
• Implement program objectives, policies and priorities as identified in our Economic Development Strategy and Integrated Official Community Plan, while proactively participating in the development of other identified goals and recommendations.
• Develop and implement programs for business enhancement, business retention and business expansion.
• Plans, schedules and carries out economic development program activities including initial planning, feasibility determination, community involvement and acceptance, implementation with project timelines, as well as review and evaluation.
• Works closely with local business and recruits potential business.
• Develop and implement strategies to assist with business growth and expansion.
• Assist and facilitate discussions with the private and public sector regarding economic development initiatives.
• Maintain a database of information regarding the availability of land, infrastructure, and other facilities conducive to the proportion of business and industrial development.
• Responds to inquiries regarding economic data, trends and resources as industrial and commercial developments opportunities.
• Develop and implement a marketing program.
• Coordinate the development of marketing materials.
• Make presentations to businesses, Council and community groups.
• Maintains active contact with relevant agencies at all levels of government in order to generate leads and to be informed of government programs that will assist with the economic development of the community.
• Participate in regional economic planning activities as required.
• Write reports.
• Advise the Board of AdvantageHOPE and/or Council on matters related to economic development.
||BACKGROUND: Established in 2009, the Hope Business and Development Society (AdvantageHOPE) is a non-profit volunteer run community organization, delivering economic development and tourism services on behalf of the District of Hope.
This is a minimum 40hr a week four-year contract with the opportunity to renew should both parties agree. Hours will vary in accordance with meetings and activities outside of regular business hours.
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to the Executive Director of AdvantageHOPE Shannon Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is February 14th, 2020.
||District of Hope
325 Wallace St.
Hope, BC V0X 1L0
||February 4, 2020 08:30 AM
||February 14, 2020 04:30 PM
|Attachments for Economic Development Officer
||EDO Job Description