|Labourer (up to 15) - Temporary Full-time
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
November 9, 2020
at 4:30 PM
||20-U100 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 135,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for up to 15 temporary full-time Labourers (from approx. January 25, 2021 to approx. December 24, 2021) to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Utilities Operations and Construction Departments. In this unionized position, you will perform a variety of manual work requiring physical effort and agility in the operations of semi-skilled and unskilled construction/maintenance tasks.
• Perform a variety of semi-skilled tasks in the operation, maintenance and construction of Township infrastructure and may include water, sewer, and stormwater infrastructure installation, repairs and maintenance
• Assist with unidirectional flushing, hydrant and valve servicing/exercising/painting, meter reading, vegetation control, and minor water system repairs
• Act as a spotter for backhoes performing utility work
• Break blacktop and concrete surfaces using pneumatic hammer and compressor accessories and operate motorized compacting machines in backfilling and grading work
• Drive a vehicle to transport materials and tools to job sites
• Perform other related work as required
• Completion of Grade 10, some experience in construction and maintenance or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Sound knowledge of the methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment applicable to the various functional areas of utilities construction and maintenance work
• Skill in the use of a variety of tools used in general maintenance and construction work
• Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit the performance of heavy manual outdoor work in all weather conditions
• Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and simple written instructions
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
• BC Class 5 (full-privilege) driver’s license or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 year option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s Licence or a Driver Factor Report will not be accepted.
Applications will be considered for positions in Utilities Operations (Sewer and Water) and Construction departments. Applicants will have the opportunity to indicate their preference during the application process.
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $29.13 per hour (2020 rates) plus 13% in lieu of benefits. The hours of work are Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: November 3, 2020
External closing date for this competition: November 9, 2020
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||October 26, 2020 08:30 AM
||November 9, 2020 04:30 PM