|Senior Bylaw Enforcement Officer - Regular Full-Time
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
November 18, 2020
at 4:30 PM
||20-U104 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 135,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a regular full-time Senior Bylaw Enforcement Officer to join our team of professionals in the Community Development Division; Bylaw Enforcement Department. Reporting to the Manager, Bylaw Enforcement, in this unionized position you will be responsible for inspection and regulatory work related to the enforcement of specific bylaws.
• Process unusual, sensitive and contentious bylaw files and those with a high level of notoriety
• Review and assesses files and recommend legal action as required
• Prepare and assemble documentation for legal proceedings, liaise with legal counsel on file progress and appear in court and at adjudication hearings as required
• Represent the Bylaw Enforcement department in various internal and external meetings, provide advice on bylaw related concerns and issues and assist other departments and external agencies in their enforcement of regulations and bylaws
• Assist the Manager in the review, amendment and development of bylaws and develop new or revised work methods/procedures
• Prepare a variety of reports and correspondence related to the work and prepare inventory lists and statistics
• Investigate and process bylaw complaints concerning infractions and violations, including the unauthorized use of business operations in accordance with the zoning bylaw
• Supervise, assign, review and oversee the work of lower level Bylaw Enforcement Officers and provide guidance and training as necessary
• Perform related work, as required
As a successful candidate you will possess the following qualifications:
• Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by courses related to the work plus considerable related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Considerable knowledge of municipal bylaws, regulations, policies and procedures and of applicable provincial statutes governing the work performed
• Considerable knowledge of the legality of certain types of evidence and the requirements for documenting and presenting evidence as related to the work performed
• Ability to investigate complaints, enforce bylaws with firmness, tact, impartiality and sound judgement, particularly in unusual situations, and to mediate disputes
• Ability to review cases, recommend remedial action and laying charges, prepare required documentation, and provide evidence in court
• Ability to supervise and provide guidance and training to lower level Bylaw Enforcement Officer
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a Position of Trust . The successful candidate(s) will be required to have a Police Information Check as a condition of employment (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
• BC Class 5 (full-privilege) driver’s license or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 years option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s Licence and the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $35.68 - $42.12 per hour (5 steps, 2020 rates) plus benefits. The hours of work are Monday to Thursday, 8:00am to 5:00pm and Sunday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. Non-standard hours and/or non-standard work week. Schedule is subject to changes based on operational needs.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: November 18, 2020
External closing date for this competition: November 18, 2020
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||November 9, 2020 08:30 AM
||November 18, 2020 04:30 PM