|Digital Communications Specialist - Web Content (Media Designer)
||City of Surrey
||3589 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Parks, Recreation and Culture
||Reporting to the Manager of Web & New Media, you will be joining the City and the Web & New Media Team in a new
and exciting time, on the heels of the City’s relaunched www.surrey.ca website on Drupal 8, which just launched in
September 2020. With over 5 million sessions a year, you will join us to play a key role in growing the use, effectiveness
and enjoyment of our website content for our audiences.
You are an experienced web content strategist who also brings a great understanding of the principles of content
marketing. You are able to talk to people with various roles within a team, may it be a subject matter expert, marketer,
technical specialist, developer or social media specialist.
You love and live content. You communicate in content models with developers and UX experts but can also work with
marketing peers to build a story using the tools, content and assets available. You are passionate about using content and
structure to tell stories, and also hold strong knowledge of accessibility, SEO, mobile and content performance.
• Review, edit and approve web content for style, content and accuracy, as submitted by trained content
contributors and other communications staff.
• Consult with communications and non-communication staff in digital marketing and communications to achieve
their goals using digital content.
• Create and maintain content strategies City-wide and at the business level (eg, content lifecycles, governance,
content purpose, content structure)
• Grow and implement website taxonomies as well as website Information Architecture (IA).
• Generate content ideas with your peers in e-mail newsletters, social media and digital advertising and in overall
marketing and communication.
• Maintain and grow the City’s digital style guide.
• Perform content audits in line with content strategy and overall marketing goals.
• Train over 100 content contributors on web writing, website content strategy, guidelines and best practices.
• Ensure consistency of online communications and optimizing user experience by developing clear and consistent messages.
• Create, curate, post, publish and maintain high-quality and effective web content for campaigns and for day-to-day business to engage our audiences and support City goals.
• Work independently and together with other team members in content and page design, leveraging content and assets.
• As part of the Web & New Media Team, you may also be on a 5-team member weekly rotation for morning and evening social media monitoring.
• Use independence of judgment and initiative is exercised within established guidelines and according to policies and procedures.
• You will be responsible for preparing and presenting recommendations and reports as required. You will work collaboratively with staff on projects, liaise with technical staff to determine how content is delivered, and support content contributors engaged in the development of web projects
||• A Diploma in a related field, including or supplemented by courses related to communications and design as well as 5 years’ experience in directly related work, preferably in the public sector is recommended.
• Have considerable knowledge of both web content strategy and communication principles, practices, methods and technique. Knowledge of social media channels and a familiarity with communication principles specific to each medium is considered an asset.
• Be familiar with Content Management Systems (CMS) functionality, ideally Drupal 8, and the principles of responsive web design.
• The equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
||Please apply online @ www.surrey.ca/careers to Job ID 3589.
||November 13, 2020 08:30 AM
||November 27, 2020 04:30 PM