||City of Surrey
This posting closed on
February 12, 2021
at 4:30 PM
||Parks, Recreation and Culture
||The City of Surrey’s Parks Division aims to ensure that public street and park trees are well maintained to meet the needs of our growing communities. As part of that commitment, we are looking for motivated and hardworking Groundskeeper II who are interested in gaining valuable career experience from a wide variety of urban forestry field-based work.
||As a Groundskeeper II, you will be responsible for a variety of work that involves tree maintenance and management. Duties may include:
• Perform arboriculture field work in accordance with accepted standards, techniques and best practices.
• Assist with the training of Parks staff.
• Ensures crew members work in a safe, timely and efficient manner.
• Conduct a full range of tree maintenance activities including spurless climbing.
• Complete tree risk assessments.
• Respond to inquiries from City residents related to public trees.
• Preparing reports and maintaining records.
• Completing physical work in all weather conditions.
• Performing other related duties as required.
The successful applicant can work independently as well as in a team environment; is a logical and analytical thinker in problem-solving situations; possesses excellent public relations, interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills. As well, the successful applicant will have considerable knowledge of the principles, best practices and standards used in arboriculture.
||Applicants must have:
• Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by successful completion of five additional relevant courses from an approved post-secondary education institution in any of the following course areas:
o Plant Biology
o Landscape Maintenance
o Landscape Installation/Design
• Plus, a minimum of 2 years of recent experience in landscape maintenance and/or landscape construction. Or;
• Completion of Grade 12 and a Technical Certificate Program (one year full-time) from an approved post-secondary institution, supplemented by 18 months of recent experience in landscape maintenance and/or landscape construction. Or;
• Completion of a diploma program from an approved post-secondary institution, with a minimum of 6 months recent experience in landscape maintenance and/or landscape
You must also:
• Have a valid unrestricted BC Driver’s License with a safe driving record.
• Obtain a Pesticide Applicator’s License prior to completion of probation period.
• Obtain Arborist Certification through the International Society of Arboriculture prior to completion of probation period.
• Be able to complete heavy manual labour in all weather conditions.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check.
||January 11, 2021 08:30 AM
||February 12, 2021 04:30 PM