|Irrigation Maintenance Worker - Temporary Full-Time
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
October 18, 2021
at 4:30 PM
||21-U113 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 140,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a temporary full-time Irrigation Maintenance Worker (from approx. January 24, 2022 to December 23, 2022) to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Parks Operations Department. Reporting to the Manager, Parks Operations in this unionized position you will perform a variety of maintenance work for irrigation systems and turf areas within parks, medians, boulevards, facilities grounds and cemeteries.
• Perform a variety of mechanical repairs and routine maintenance on hydraulic and electric automatic and quick-coupling irrigation systems used in Parks Operations irrigation systems
• Investigate system issues, determine appropriate action required, repair problem areas and adjust systems accordingly to ensure effective operations and watering schedules
• Perform cultivation and maintenance tasks of turf areas including over-seeding, top dressing, fertilizing, liming and aerating
• Operate a variety of turf maintenance equipment and transport supplies to and from work sites
• Monitor the work of a small crew and the work of contractors engaged in turf and irrigation operations and maintenance
• Perform other related work as required
• Completion of Grade 12 and designation as a Certified Irrigation Technician (CIT), Level 1 plus considerable related turf grass or sports field maintenance experience, including irrigation maintenance and installation experience in a commercial, sports or residential setting or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Considerable knowledge of the standard methods, practices, tools and equipment used in the maintenance and repair of hydraulic and electric automatic and quick-coupling irrigation systems.
• Considerable knowledge of the standard methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in turf cultivation and maintenance and in the laying out of sports fields
• Sound knowledge of the hazards and of the safety precautions applicable to the work
• Ability to perform cultivation, maintenance and repair tasks to turf areas and to lay out sports fields according to required specifications
• Ability to supervise the work of a small crew assisting in irrigation systems and turf maintenance duties
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a Position of Trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate(s) will be required to have a Police Information Check as a condition of employment (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
• BC Class 5 (full-privilege) driver’s license or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 years option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s Licence and the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
• BC Landscape Pesticide Applicator Certificate
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $32.13 per hour (2020 rates), plus 13% in lieu of benefits. The hours of work are eight (8) hours per day; 40 hours per week. Non-standard hours and non-standard work week.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: October 13, 2021
External closing date for this competition: October 18, 2021
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||October 4, 2021 08:30 AM
||October 18, 2021 04:30 PM