|Supervisor, Horticulture - Regular Full-Time
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
November 23, 2021
at 4:30 PM
||21-U133 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 140,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting a regular full-time Supervisor – Horticulture to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Parks Operations Department. Reporting to the Trees, Trails, Horticulture and Natural Areas Superintendent, in this unionized position you will perform administrative and supervisory work of a technical nature as it relates to horticulture operations.
• Plan, assign, dispatch and supervise the work of a small group of employees and participate in horticulture work with crews engaged in landscaping duties and projects
• Coordinate maintenance activities, identify training requirements and safe work procedures
• Review and approve annual/bulb displays and sketch basic planting schemes
• Respond to public enquiries, perform site visits and respond to emergencies as required
• Research initiatives and technologies related to horticulture, make recommendations and identify training requirements
• Prepare and maintain a variety of operational records, reports and contracts
• Perform related work as required
• Diploma in landscape horticulture or Red Seal, plus sound related landscaping experience, including supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used
• Considerable knowledge of fertilizers applications and of the insects and diseases that destroy plant life
• Ability to plan, assign, review, check, schedule and supervise the work of trades and other workers and direct the work of contractors.
• Ability to review, read and advise on landscape drawings and maintain records and reports related to the work
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a position of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate(s) will be required to have a Police Information Check as a condition of employment (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
• BC Class 5 (full-privilege) Driver’s License or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 year option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s License or the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
• BC Pesticide Applicator License - Landscape
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $36.90 - $39.40 per hour (2020 rates), plus benefits. The hours of work are eight hours per day, 40 hours per week; Non-standard hours and non-standard work week.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: November 18, 2021
External closing date for this competition: November 23, 2021
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||November 9, 2021 08:30 AM
||November 23, 2021 04:30 PM